The Y is an organization that has positioned itself as one of the leading community-based networks committed to improving the nation’s health and well-being.
Here we bring our community adult programming that creates opportunities for ALL people to achieve health, gain confidence, make connections and feel secure at every stage of life. In addition to the well-documented physical benefits of exercise, we also believe that building social relationships and a sense of community are key aspects of whole-person wellness.
The YMCA brings Marion and Polk counties a wide range of age-appropriate health, wellness, and chronic disease self-management classes that are proven to be safe and effective in benefiting all aspects of health. BODY, MIND, AND SPIRIT FOR ALL.
This is a 12-week program offered free of charge to cancer survivors. Survivors participate in free or low-cost customized exercise regimens catered to their individual needs from certified fitness instructors. The instructors are trained in cancer survivorship, post-rehabilitation exercise, and supportive cancer care. Survivors and often their families receive a membership at the YMCA for the duration of the program.
Riding an indoor, stationary bicycle has been shown to reduce Parkinson's disease symptoms by as much as 35%! Participants ride for 1 hour - a 10 minute warm-up at 60 RPM, followed by 40 minutes at 80 to 90 RPM, and a 10 minute cool down.
EnhanceFitness, a low-cost, evidence-based group exercise and falls prevention program, helps older adults at all levels of fitness become more active, energized, and empowered to sustain independent lives.
In a typical class, participants will experience:
- A certified instructor with special training in bringing out the physical best from older adults
- A 5-minute warm-up to get the blood flowing to the muscles
- A 20-minute aerobic workout that gets participants moving to (optional) lively music that the class chooses
- A 5-minute cool-down
- A 20-minute strength training workout with soft cuff weights on the arms and legs (0 up to 20 pounds)
- A 10-minute stretching workout to keep the muscles flexible
- Dynamic and static balance exercises throughout the class
- Lots of opportunities for participants to make new friends and acquaintances
Rejuvenate, strengthen, and heal your body. This class is held at a slower pace and focuses on stretching all areas of the body while releasing stress and tension from joints and muscles.
Looking for a way to make new friends and get a workout in? We have a solution for you! Our Aquacise classes are a structured adaptive opportunity for all adults. Our new YMCA building will feature a warm water pool perfect for Aquacise.