Red Cross Lifeguard Training
Lifeguard training is a requirement for working around pools, lakes, or beaches. Please register here. Once registered, you will receive an email directing you to the Red Cross site, where you will set up your account and complete the 7.5-hour online learning portion before the first day of class. Recertification is required every two years.
1. Be 15 years of age or older by the last day of class.
2. Have completed the online portion of training before the first day of class
3. Pass the pre-course swimming skills test on the first day of class, including:
- Swim 300 yards continuously using front crawl or breaststroke or a combination of both
- Tread water for 2 minutes without support and without stopping, using only legs. Head must remain above the surface of the water.
- Swim a distance of 20 yards, surface dive into 9 feet of water, retrieve a 10-pound object, return to the surface and swim 20 yards to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping face at or near the surface, and exit without using a ladder within 1 minute and 40 seconds.
4. Attend 100% of class sessions. No make-ups are offered.
5. Pass the written exam with a score of 80% or higher.
- YMCA Lifeguard - Valid for 2 years
- CPR for the Professional Rescuer/AED - Valid for 1 year
- First Aid - Valid for 2 years
- Oxygen Administration - Valid for 2 years
Please bring a swimsuit, towel, pen, paper, and any food you wish to eat during training.
For lifeguards in their second year, we also offer the shorter Red Cross lifeguard recertification. This class refreshes existing knowledge and skills and helps lifeguards stay up to date with new regulations.