Welcome to the Oregon YMCA Youth and Government page!
What is Youth and Government all about?
- The program is a 3-day intensive educational experience unlike any other. It allows students to practice parliamentary procedure and actively participate in a mock legislative process.
- YMCA Youth and Government started in Oregon in 1947 as an activity of YMCA Teen Programs. Since the 1960’s, it has operated through the schools with teacher-advisors organizing delegations in over 35 high schools.
- YMCA Youth and Government offers opportunities for teens to get involved in their communities and learn how to make their voices heard about issues that are important to them.
- As a YMCA program, Youth & Government focuses on the core values of caring, honesty, respect, responsibility, civic engagement, and fun.
Who can participate?
How much time does it take?
Usually, several hours of measure prep and parliamentary procedure practice per month leading up to the conference. All delegates participate in all-day state pre-Legislative Training on a Saturday in January. The Conference is held in February over three days from Thursday morning until Saturday afternoon, at the Oregon State Capitol in Salem.
How much does it cost?
Our program fees are $175 per student.
Scholarships are available, download the Financial Assistance application.
General information can be found here:
Bulletin 1 – Intent to participate
Bulletin 2 – The Year Ahead
Bulletin 3 – Pre-Legislative Assembly
Bulletin 4 -Coming soon!
- Student Registration
- Page Registration
- Adult Registration
- Housing Forms/Adult Overnight Chaperons
- Declaration of Candidacy
- Delegation Record
For more information, please contact the YMCA Youth & Government State Director,
Nekole Baurer at 503 399 2770 or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org.