Welcome to the Oregon YMCA Youth and Government page!
What is Youth and Government all about?
- The program is a 3-day intensive educational experience unlike any other. It allows students to practice parliamentary procedure and actively participate in a mock legislative process.
- YMCA Youth and Government started in Oregon in 1947 as an activity of YMCA Teen Programs. Since the 1960’s, it has operated through the schools with teacher-advisors organizing delegations in over 35 high schools.
- YMCA Youth and Government offers opportunities for teens to get involved in their communities and learn how to make their voices heard about issues that are important to them.
- As a YMCA program, Youth & Government focuses on the core values of caring, honesty, respect, responsibility, civic engagement, and fun.
Who can participate?
How much time does it take?
Usually, several hours of measure prep and parliamentary procedure practice per month leading up to the conference. All delegates participate in all-day state pre-Legislative Training on a Saturday in March. The Conference is held in April over three days from Thursday morning until Saturday afternoon, at the Oregon State Capitol in Salem.
Scholarships are available, download the Financial Assistance application.
General information can be found here:
Bulletin 3 – Pre-Legislative Assembly
Bulletin 4 – Oregon’s 71st Session
Registration Forms: Updated forms under construction. Will be available Sept 2017.
- Student Registration
- Page Registration
- Adult Registration
- Housing Forms/Adult Overnight Chaperons
- Declaration of Candidacy
- Delegation Record
Standing Rules of Procedure
For more information, please contact the YMCA Youth & Government State Director,
Nekole Baurer at 503 399 2770 or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org.