EnhanceFitness is a community-based senior fitness and arthritis management class. The 16-week program meets three times a week for a one-hour class. Each class is taught by a certified instructor and focuses on cardiovascular endurance, strength, flexibility, and balance. Participants move at their most comfortable pace and are never pushed to do more than they can handle. Exercising with other people in a relaxed atmosphere adds a fun, social element and keeps motivation high.
EnhanceFitness has been recognized by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the US Department on Aging, and the National Council on Aging as effective in helping older adults improve or maintain their physical functioning. Program participants have reported increased flexibility, energy levels, and strength, better sleep, and an increased sense of independence. Additionally, the program has resulted in fewer hospitalizations and reduced health care costs.
Enhance the functional fitness and well-being of older adults
At the beginning of each session, participants complete three fitness assessments to establish baselines. Those assessments are repeated every 16 weeks to measure progress.
Each one-hour class is divided up into the following segments:
- Movement to fun music
- Strength training
Older adults at all fitness levels are welcome, from frail to fit.
You must register either online or at the Welcome Desk to participate.
Cost of a 16 week session:
- Free for members
- $120 for non-member participants
Check out more information here
Moving For Better Balance
MOVING FOR BETTER BALANCE
A TAI CHI BASED FALL PREVENTION PROGRAM
Approximately 1/3 of all adults over 65 years of age fall at least once in a year. Half of those people who do fall consequently experience a serious setback of their quality of life. As lifespans continue to increase, the ability to maintain health, mobility and independence for as long as possible only becomes more important. Ys can help older adults in their communities by helping prevent falls.
Moving for Better Balance is a fall prevention program that uses the principles and movements of Tai Chi in helping older adults improve their balance and increase their confidence in doing everyday activities.
PARTICIPANTS IN MOVING FOR BETTER BALANCE
- Improve their balance
- Increase their self-confidence
- Gain a sense of achievement
- Improve their well-being
If you are having trouble with your balance, are concerned about falling and are 65 years of age or older you are eligible to attend this free 12 week program. Taught by a YMCA Certified Instructor, you will learn low impact postures and movements along with stretching and breathing exercises. Improve your mobility and feel more confident in doing everyday activities.
Salem Family YMCA flyer – Classes start soon!
Silver Falls Family YMCA flyer – Classes start Soon!
Check out our brochure here
Register online soon, or contact your local Y via phone:
- Silver Falls Family YMCA – (503) 873-6456 or (503) 873-0205
- Salem Family YMCA – (503) 581-YMCA (9622)
Program fees for a 12 week session:
- Free for members
- $150 for participants (non-members)
LIVESTRONG® at the YMCA
LIVESTRONG at the YMCA is an evidence-based program that helps adult cancer survivors reclaim their health and well-being following a cancer diagnosis.
LIVESTRONG at the YMCA is a FREE program tailored to fit the specific needs of cancer survivors who would like to improve their quality of life following completion of treatment. Our certified instructors have undergone specialized training in the elements of cancer, rehabilitative exercise and supportive cancer care. Sessions are offered over 12 weeks in a small group environment with exercise protocols customized for each individual.
- Smallgroup, supportive environment
- 12-week program with two 90 minute sessions per week
- Includes cardiovascular conditioning, strength training, balance, and flexibility exercises
- Evaluation includes Functional and Quality of Live assessments before and after participation
- Facilitated by YMCA-certified Instructors
- Build muscle mass and strength
- Increase flexibility and endurance
- Improve day-to-day life
- Reduce the severity of therapy side effects
- Prevent unwanted weight changes
- Improve energy levels and self esteem
Basic criteria to participate:
- Survivors must be adults (age 18 and over)
- Survivors are eligible to enter the program at any point after they’ve been diagnosed
- Strong personal desire and commitment to attend all classes
- Physically able to participate in at least most activities
Who to contact to learn more:
Please contact our LIVESTRONG at the YMCA team at email@example.com or (503) 399-2775, to get on the class list or with any questions you may have regarding the LIVESTRONG at the YMCA program.